5-Step guide to reviewing your cloud costs
3. Issue guidelines
- If you decide on a cloud route, you next need to evaluate cost against functionality.
- With regard to data storage, issue guidelines for data storage so that there is consistent best practice across the organisation. That way, you are not paying for data that is not needed, or using applications unnecessarily.
- If you are paying for a cloud application, ensure all employees are trained to use it as well as possible to get the most value.
4. Create accountability
- One person in the business should take ownership of these costs on an ongoing basis. Each department head should be aware of their own spend and ensure standardisation where appropriate.
- Cost centre billing for IT can create a cost-conscious culture and prevent costs from increasing without clear visibility.
5. Monitor and report
- Your managed service provider or expert IT partner should be able to support you with accessing cloud management reports regularly. These will give you oversight of what you’re storing.
- Look out for unused capacity that you are paying for and trends towards increasing data storage which may need managing to control costs better.
- Use regular reports to support future planning so you have the capacity for growth or operational changes. Preparing in advance can help you use your IT resources in a more considered way.
Download the report: Making the cloud work for UK businesses
- – IT trends in UK businesses – results from our survey of UK business leaders
- – The cost of cloud: Facts and figures
- – What are SMEs doing about the creeping cost of cloud?
- – 5 step guide: Reviewing your cloud costs
We’re Beaming, a specialist internet service provider (ISP) for businesses. We’ve been helping organisations across the UK with fast, reliable, and secure voice and data connectivity, as well as managed services, since 2004.
From the resilient and secure network we’ve built, to the choice of tailormade products all supplied with expert service, we provide peace of mind that businesses require.
We know that your business is unique, so we take the time to get to know you and your specific needs. If you’re looking for a reliable ISP for your business, we’d love to chat.