How do I connect to a VPN on a non-Windows device?Posted on 29 October 2018 by Beaming Support
Once it’s been agreed that you can work remotely, your company should provide you with a Virtual Private Network (VPN), which you’ll need to connect to in order to securely access documents and workspaces on your business’s network.
This guide gives a step by step method to securely connect to a VPN on a non-Windows device. Before you begin you will need the necessary login credentials and authorisation supplied from your IT department or administrator.
Connect to a VPN using OS X (Sierra)
- Click on the Apple menu on the top of the screen, and then select system preferences, then select network.
- Now a (+) (Plus) button will appear in the list on the left, click the popup menu and select VPN for the interface and select L2TP over IPSec.
- Then you will go though the setup of adding a VPN to your Mac. The following details required will be provided by your VPN
- Once you have fully completed the setup, before you close the setup in the menu bar select “Show VPN Status in the menu bar”. This will then show the VPN connection is available and working in the status bar via an icon.
Connect to a VPN using Chrome OS (67.0.3396.102)
- Click your account photo on the bottom right of your screen and then click the gear icon.
- The settings page will now appear, there is a network section in the menu near the top of the settings page.
- Once you find the network section, you can click add connection, then proceed to add your VPN.
- Then you can fill out all the details provided by your VPN.
- Once you successfully enter all the details for your VPN connection you can click on the VPN tab in network settings where you can click on your VPN and select connect.
Connect to a VPN using Linux (Ubuntu) (18.04 LTS)
- On your desktop, go to system settings and then network.
- On your network settings page, there will be a (+) (Plus).
- Once you select the Plus (+) a box will appear where you can select VPN from a drop down menu.
- Once you click create you will go through a setup where you will need to enter the necessary details supplied by your VPN
- Once you have successfully filled in all the information, you can select your network icon on the desktop; it will open a small box showing active connections and VPN.
Not what you were looking for?
Find out how to connect to a VPN when using a Windows operating system.
We’ve helped these customers secure data
- Tricky Location
The BBQ Project at Hastings Pier
After taking on new premises on Hastings pier, The BBQ Project needed help implementing the right infrastructure to support their new app and ordering system.
- Temporary Lines
John F Hunt Group
How do you connect a temporary construction site to the internet when it is going to be to be demolished or infrastructure needs to be removed at the end of the project?
- Data Security
Kurt J. Lesker Company
For security reasons, all of the Kurt J Lesker Company’s data is held at its US base. This means the speed & security of the data connection between the US & the UK is crucial to the effective operation of KJLC’s business.
Having been at the cutting edge of technology for over 130 years, Astell Scientific knows that the technology they use to support their business also needs to be kept right up to date.
- Data Security
Folkestone St Mary's C of E Primary Academy
A fast and reliable internet connection is a necessity in the modern classroom, but this must be balanced with the very important matter of safeguarding students.
- Remote Working
Double Parking Systems
Moving to a new business location can be disruptive, but Beaming helped Double Parking Systems make a smooth transition.