How do I connect to a VPN on a non-Windows device?Posted on 29 October 2018 by Beaming Support
Once it’s been agreed that you can work remotely, your company should provide you with a Virtual Private Network (VPN), which you’ll need to connect to in order to securely access documents and workspaces on your business’s network.
This guide gives a step by step method to securely connect to a VPN on a non-Windows device. Before you begin you will need the necessary login credentials and authorisation supplied from your IT department or administrator.
Connect to a VPN using OS X (Sierra)
- Click on the Apple menu on the top of the screen, and then select system preferences, then select network.
- Now a (+) (Plus) button will appear in the list on the left, click the popup menu and select VPN for the interface and select L2TP over IPSec.
- Then you will go though the setup of adding a VPN to your Mac. The following details required will be provided by your VPN
- Once you have fully completed the setup, before you close the setup in the menu bar select “Show VPN Status in the menu bar”. This will then show the VPN connection is available and working in the status bar via an icon.
Connect to a VPN using Chrome OS (67.0.3396.102)
- Click your account photo on the bottom right of your screen and then click the gear icon.
- The settings page will now appear, there is a network section in the menu near the top of the settings page.
- Once you find the network section, you can click add connection, then proceed to add your VPN.
- Then you can fill out all the details provided by your VPN.
- Once you successfully enter all the details for your VPN connection you can click on the VPN tab in network settings where you can click on your VPN and select connect.
Connect to a VPN using Linux (Ubuntu) (18.04 LTS)
- On your desktop, go to system settings and then network.
- On your network settings page, there will be a (+) (Plus).
- Once you select the Plus (+) a box will appear where you can select VPN from a drop down menu.
- Once you click create you will go through a setup where you will need to enter the necessary details supplied by your VPN
- Once you have successfully filled in all the information, you can select your network icon on the desktop; it will open a small box showing active connections and VPN.
Not what you were looking for?
Find out how to connect to a VPN when using a Windows operating system.
We’ve helped these customers secure data
Adams & Jarrett
Moving their telephone system to the BeamRing cloud gave Adams and Jarrett the freedom of a simplified, customisable setup paired with improved functionality and reduced call costs.
When tracking ships on the high seas and providing timely intelligence in the fight against piracy, 24/7 connectivity is crucial.
- Leased Lines
Connectivity was crucial to ensure the Pier could operate smoothly, to enable commerce and provide visitors with a truly engaging experience.
- Data Security
Old Hastings House
The team at Old Hastings House care home found it paid to find a partner who put their needs first.
Skinners Kent Academy
Needing to link their two new schools, The Skinners’ Kent Academy shopped around for the most effective and affordable solution. We won on both counts.
- Leased Lines
St Mary's School
The students at St Mary’s are already facing their own communication struggles. Our solution has genuinely improved the lives of the young people, their parents and staff alike.